What Is a Visual Termite Inspection?
Termites are some of Australia’s toughest pests to manage. While they’re usually easy to spot in the wild, termites in your home can be much harder to identify. By the time you notice an infestation, the termites may have already chewed their way through structural timbers, doing thousands of dollars of damage to your home. Investing in regular pest inspections is the best thing you can do to protect your house. A professional pest control service knows all the tricks, and they’ll know exactly how to spot a termite infestation in your home or commercial property.
What Is a Pest Inspection?
Pest inspections are carried out by trained professionals who visit your property to identify issues with pests such as ants, rodents, spiders and termites. Pests affect each home a little differently. Each inspection should be tailored to the property, depending on things like construction materials, regional pest problems and how the home is laid out. While no two pest inspections are identical, a full inspection should include checks on the following areas:
- Fences and retaining walls
- House stumps
- Ceiling cavities
- Sheds and other outbuildings
- Backyards and gardens
- House foundations
- Internal rooms and spaces
What Is a Visual Termite Inspection?
A visual termite inspection involves having a licensed pest control technician visually check your property for signs of termites. If you’re concerned about the possibility of termites, or if you live in an area that’s prone to infestations, a visual termite inspection is the first step to uncovering potential problems. During a visual termite inspection, a specialist will thoroughly check all accessible areas of your property for signs like:
- Termite mounds. Outside your home, termites can often be found making large nests out of mud. These nests are typically found near trees or other vegetation, and they’re a sure sign that your home is at risk of infestation.
- Mud leads. Termites are subterranean creatures that create tunnels they can use to travel up into your home. Termite tunnels are often found trailing up the sides of your foundations.
- Damage to your home. Termites can cause an incredible amount of damage to your home. Pest control professionals search for signs of termite damage to every accessible part of your house.
The Termite Inspection Procedure
Termite inspections don’t end at the visual stage. While a visual inspection can reveal obvious signs of an infestation, termites aren’t always easy to spot. To complete the inspection, your pest control professional will also use specialist detection tools to search for problem areas. Tools such as motion sensors, thermal imaging cameras and moisture scanning devices can all be used to identify potential termite infestations that require further investigation. Once the full inspection is complete, your pest control team will provide a report that details their findings and recommendations on how to proceed. Because termites can cause major structural damage, it’s important to have inspections performed regularly and to act quickly if you notice any warning signs.
How to Protect Your Home from Termites
Prevention is the best policy when it comes to termites. A termite infestation can easily cause tens of thousands of dollars of damage, so keeping them out of your home is the key. Here are a few tips on things you can do to deter termites from entering your home:
- Clear away any tree branches or vegetation that overhangs your home
- Keep all vegetation, debris and firewood away from your house
- Remove dead trees and stumps from your yard
- Repair leaky taps, pipes and drains
- Avoid placing garden beds or bushes up against the house
Concerned About Termites? Talk to Pete’s Pest Control Toowoomba!
Termites are some of Australia’s most common pests. Unfortunately, they’re also capable of doing incredible amounts of damage to your home. While there are a few things you can do to deter termites, the best solution is having your property regularly inspected by Pete’s Pest Control. We’re an experienced pest control team working across Toowoomba. We take a tailored approach to our work, ensuring our termite inspections and pest control solutions are customised to suit your property. Our specialists are trained to manage all types of pests, from rodents and ants to fleas, ticks and even termites. Contact us if you’re concerned about the possibility of termites on your property – we’re always ready to help!