Flea Treatments in Toowoomba
Flea Treatments in Toowoomba
Fleas can make life a misery for both pets and their owners. Fleas are a bloodsucking parasite that can cause itchiness, rashes and, in extreme cases, can transmit diseases.
Luckily for us, fleas are a common pest, and they’re relatively easy to get rid of. The challenge lies in how quickly they spread. An adult flea lays 4-8 legs each time they feed. Across its lifespan, a flea can lay several hundred eggs on its host. As you or your pets walk around the house, those eggs fall off, working their way into every corner of the home and worsening the spread.
If your pets are frequently itchy or you’re seeing your own signs of bites and itchiness, get in touch with Pete’s Pest Control and speak to us about our specialist flea treatments for the Toowoomba region.
How to Spot a Flea Infestation
The first sign of a flea infestation is usually that your pets start to scratch a lot. Check your pet’s fur for signs of fleas or eggs, especially around the head, ears, neck and hindquarters. Fleas also show up on humans. Look for flea bites – they’re small red bumps, usually on your legs and ankles.
If you or your pet is being bitten by fleas, you should carefully look through pet bedding, rugs and carpets for signs of fleas and their eggs. Flea eggs are tiny and off-white, so you might need a magnifying glass to spot them, but they’re a sure sign of an infestation.
Preparing For Flea Treatment
Once you’ve called Pete’s Pest Control and made a booking for residential flea treatment, there’s a few things you should do in preparation.
For your pets you’ll need to:
- Wash them with a good flea shampoo. These contain mild insecticides that quickly kill adult fleas and eggs.
- Start your pets on a flea treatment program. Use quality products and make sure you’re alternating between treatments every 12 months. Fleas build up a tolerance to treatments over time, so switching between brands makes them more effective.
You’ll also need to do a few things around your home before the Pete’s Pest Control team arrives:
- Vacuum daily until the day of your appointment. The extra vacuuming will encourage the flea eggs to begin hatching, making your flea treatment more effective.
- Pick up any goods that are stored on the floor and place them up on shelves until the flea treatment has been completed.
- Mow your lawn short and soak it with water the day before treatment.
- Make sure the ground outside your home is clear of any stored items that could get in the way of treatment.
Whether you’re waking up covered in bites or are only just starting to see the signs of a flea infestation, get in touch with Pete’s Pest Control. We work with residential and commercial customers all over the Toowoomba region to treat flea infestations and help you get rid of those annoying little pests! Contact our team at any time to make a booking.